Vote on the PSP Top 200
PSP Top 200 - Games, Videos, Wallpapers, Files, Hacks, Homebrew

Please Click This Every Day To Vote For Us
Credits
Skin ©
Side-bar © PspOverDose

PspOverDose
March 28, 2024, 01:30:12 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: GO to http://Psp-War3z.co.nr now

Home   Forum   Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Firmware Capabilities

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Firmware Capabilities  (Read 319 times)
Tashawn
Admin and Owner

PspOverDose Points: 37

Psp Firmware: 3.80 M33-4

View Profile WWW
« on: December 01, 2007, 03:10:19 am »

What can I do with the PSP?

What you can do with the PSP mostly depends on what firmware version it is running.

And what's firmware?

"Firmware" is software designed to be permanently stored inside of Read-Only Memory. In other words, the firmware is the stuff that allows the PSP to work even if no game is inserted. It's the reason your PSP is able to display images, browse the internet, and play music without needing to download anything. Officially, Sony refers to PSP firmware as "System Software".

How do I know what version firmware I have?

On your PSP, go into the "Settings" menu, choose "System Settings," then choose "System Information." You'll see the "System Software" version.

OK, but why would I want anything other than the latest firmware? Why doesn't this guide just say "Update to the latest firmware version"?

Newer firmware versions feature ever-increasing countermeasures to prevent users from running unauthorized software ("Homebrew") on their PSPs. Many firmware updates were created solely to prevent users from running homebrew on their PSPs. Please refer to the "Homebrew" section of this document for more information about homebrew.

So I know what version firmware I have. But I want to change firmware versions. Can I do this?

Maybe. You will always be able to upgrade (going from firmware 1.50 to 2.60 or 1.52 to 2.00, for example). However, you may not be able to downgrade (going from 3.52 to 1.50 is currently not possible without using Pandora's Battery, for example).

Downgrade? What's that?

Downgrading is where you install a firmware version on your PSP that has a lower number than the version you currently have installed. Going from version 2.60 to version 1.50, for example, is a downgrade. Downgrading is not officially supported by Sony. In fact, Sony has taken steps to prevent users from downgrading. Downgrading takes advantages of holes in the PSP's security to force the changes on the system. Thus, you must be very careful when downgrading, because you could permanently damage your PSP.

What is the "Custom" column for?

A "custom" firmware is a specialized firmware version created by the PSP hacking community. Several different homebrew developers offer customized firmwares, such as Dark_Alex with Open Edition, M33 with the M33 series, and Team Wildc*rd with their firmwares. Luckily, superskull85 covers the installation and setup of these firmwares in his excellent guide. While the capabilities offered by the firmwares do vary, they are generally created specifically so that users can run homebrew on their PSPs while still being able to use the latest official PSP features. Homebrew is covered later in this guide.

That chart is sort of complicated down around firmware version 3.60. What's going on?

Old exploits for downgrading, such as the Lumines exploit, do not work on new PSP-2000 model PSPs. However, Team M33 was able to create a modified version of the Pandora Battery exploit that enables PSP-2000 users to install 3.60 M33, a custom firmware version, on their PSPs. For more information about this exploit, click here. As a result, PSP-2000 users are able to go directly from firmwares 3.60, 3.70, or 3.71 to 3.60 M33. PSP-1000 users, however, must first go to firmware version 1.50 before installing any custom firmwares (regardless of their current firmware version).

Oh nuts. Looks like I can't make the firmware change I wanted to.

Independent software developers (sometimes referred to as "hackers" within the PSP scene) have made several advancements in the life of the PSP. PSP-Vault regularly reports on important developments regarding firmware, so as long as you keep track of the news, the day when you can make the change you want may come. In fact, this very guide must be regularly updated to reflect the latest information.

I'm running firmware version X, and I might I want to use homebrew one day. What do you recommend I do?

Given the current situation, PSP-Vault recommends you do not upgrade past firmware version 3.50. While downgraders are currently available for ALL firmware versions currently available, downgrading PSPs with firmware version 3.51 or 3.52 actually requires additional hardware (see more details about this downgrader here), instead of just additional software.

Cool. I can make the firmware change I want to. Now how do I do that?

For upgrades, all you will need to do is run the necessary firmware update on your PSP. PSP-Vault offers all of the official Sony firmwares in our File Vault, here.

Please note that there is no difference in firmware versions from region to region. There is no such thing as a "Japanese version," "American Version," or "European Version" of the firmwares. Downloading a firmware update from another region is perfectly fine, but please note Sony says installing a foreign version will void your warranty. Not that they would be able to find out.

For downgrades, the process is slightly more complicated as you may have gathered from the decision structure above. Additionally, the process is further complicated by the fact that there are two PSP models, as well as two major revisions of the first model PSP (PSP-1000). Generally, the lower firmware version your PSP currently is, the more options you have for downgrading. PSP-Vault's own superskull85 has created a very excellent thread on the PSP-Vault Forums entitled "Golden Firmware Guide For All 1.00-3.50 Firmwares" that provides step-by-step instructions for each potential downgrade scenario.

Are these changes permanent? Can this damage my PSP?

Given that downgraders are currently available for all firmware versions, the changes will not be permanent. This situation is likely change with the release of the PSP-2000.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Member Legend
[Admin] [Global Moderator] [Moderator] [Donate Member]